ERA COMMERCIAL FAÇADE PROGRAM
Updated and attractive commercial buildings and storefronts are an important part of the success of retail and commercial districts. As the Erie Redevelopment Authority seeks ways to revitalize and rebuild neighborhoods, it has encouraged business owners to improve their storefront exteriors. Renovated facades can stabilize the property values and leverage new investment in neighborhoods.
Currently, there are three geographic areas of focus for the Façade Renovation Program: the Downtown Improvement District, the Parade Street Commercial District, and the Little Italy Commercial District.
The maximum federal funding available for a single project is $50,000 of combined loan and grant. Each grant must be matched with funds provided by the owner in the form of owner cash and, if necessary, loans.
Applicants will be required to hire a Pennsylvania Registered Architect or Professional Engineer to sign plan bid drawings. The Redevelopment Authority will work with the applicant to insure the improvements are consistent with the character of the existing districts.
Elements that are eligible include, but are not limited to:
- Exterior painting
- Removing inappropriate or incompatible exterior finishes and materials (false fronts such as aluminum panels).
- Restoring exterior finishes and materials
- Installation of safety glass
- Recessing / reconfiguring existing doors and entrances
- Repairing or replacing existing storefront window systems
- Signs (new, repairing, replacing and removing)
- Exterior building and sign lighting, display area lighting
- Awnings; new, repair or replacement of existing
Ineligible items include:
- Street trees
- Street furniture such as benches
- Roof replacement (Mansard roof excepted)
- Signage not connected to the building
For additional information and an application packet, click the link below
Program Guidelines and Application Packet